Thursday 10 February 2011

112. Late Spring

Yasujiro Ozu isn't really very good at naming his films. There's Late Spring, Early Summer, Late Summer, The End of Summer, An Autumn Afternoon and Spring Comes from the Ladies. To make things worse, The End of Summer is also known as Early Autumn and is listed here under that name. It all gets very confusing. Still, I did manage to not only notice that Late Spring was on one November weekday morning and associate it with the listed film I needed to see, but also to set my recorder to tape it. And I'm glad I did, because it's bloody marvellous.

The film is as simple as it comes and is very low on any sort of action. A young woman lives with her father in postwar Japan (I guess it would have been American occupied then, but you don't see any Americans) and looks after him contentedly. There's a hint that she's slightly damaged from the war but nothing much is revealed there. She's not married so her father and aunt encourage her to find a husband, despite her reluctance. And that's basically it plotwise. There are some scenes at a bar and there's a long, almost hypnotic, sequence at a Noh performance, but mostly it's just dialogue, touchingly and honestly performed by the leads.




The actors are all magnificent. Setsuko Hara as Noriko, the daughter, is beautiful and her smile lights up the screen when her character is not having a strop. Chishu Ryu as the father is the star of the show: stately, wise but with a cheeky twinkle in his eye. The relationship between the two features no melodrama, no fireworks or loud destructive arguments — it's just real, sensitively and quietly observed to reflect true human behaviour. The supporting cast are good too but it's the central performances that carry it.

Ozu's direction is understated in the extreme and consists almost entirely of low static shots, as if he'd hired garden gnomes to be the cameramen. This is of course his trademark (this one film and Wikipedia has made me an authority on the subject) and it fits the material perfectly. It's really just a stage play with a few cuts to scenes of late spring, and certainly a case of less-is-more. Modern directors could learn something. The elisions are interesting too, and emphasise the importance of how and why events occur, not caring too much about the events themselves.

I suppose the best compliment I could make about this film is that I learned a lot from it. I'm fairly ignorant about postwar Japanese life and the emerging role of its women — I clearly didn't pay enough attention at school — and it opened a window into that previously unseen world. Late Spring is the first part of a trilogy — one of theme rather than narrative. Part two, Early Summer is not on this list but Tokyo Story, the final and most celebrated part, is. I'm going to have to watch them both, though.

7 comments:

  1. Ah, the wizardry of Ozu. This one's on my Amazon wishlist (in fact, all his films are) - I'm making the assumption it'll come down in price to a reasonable level before it comes on TV again (and certainly over here!). I guess the best time to watch it would be some time in May, right?

    Incidentally, are you aware of this website: http://www.ubu.com/ ? It seems to have a good number of avant garde works archived away and I suspect is the best place to watch Zorn's Lemma and Hold Me While I'm Naked and possibly some of the other obscure entries on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I forgot to add was that the sound quality was pretty poor on Film4 - crackly music with fluctuating volume levels. So worth getting on DVD rather than waiting five years for the next airing.

    Thanks for the info on ubu - I'd not seen that. They don't seem to have the 1923 Ten Commandments, though. You can get the first half on Youtube, which is a little bizarre, but I can't find the whole thing anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are interested in getting the Noriko trilogy on DVD, it's on special offer today only at Zavvi.com. £8.85 each for dual format (blu-ray and DVD) editions of the films, with bonus early Ozu films on DVD as well. I doubt you'll pick up these packages much cheaper than this for a while.

    http://www.zavvi.com/offers/mega-monday/blu-ray.list?utm_source=ENZ-_2087081383&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ENZ-_2087081383

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good if you want it on blu-ray, but £8.85 for a DVD is not a very special offer. I'll probably just rent them if they don't come on TV first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the face of it, it's expensive for DVDs, but historically these titles have always cost a lot, if they've been available at all. And these BFI packages are pretty nice (including booklet of essays/reviews etc).

    Anyway, I'm sure you'll have friends who will let you borrow them at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So anyway, I watched this (and Early Summer) on Monday. Superb stuff, especially the utter effortlessness of its execution. What would the Hollywood equivalent be? Father of the Bride?

    To me, Ozu's camera positions are the key to his work. The intimacy provided by the low angle gives the extra realism and subtlety that carry you through the picture. You're basically in the room, eavesdropping on the actors. It actually brought to mind the Dogme manifesto, with its insistence on no artificial angles or lighting. Did von Trier, Vinterberg and co have Ozu as a primary influence?

    I've yet to watch his older films that came as bonuses in these packs, but I expect them to be just as rewarding. If only everyone could see this instead of Transformers 3, or whatever other crap is coming out on the big screen this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this is definitely one of the highlights since I started this blog. I was always going to end up watching The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or Sunset Blvd. but things like this might have just passed me by forever otherwise.

    I'm not sure I felt like I was eavesdropping exactly, but the camerawork certainly draws you in. I wonder how much of that is unfamiliarity, though - if it doesn't follow the "rules" of film then you start to forget you're watching a film. It's not a question I can begin to answer with just one Ozu film under my belt!

    ReplyDelete